Sights and Sounds
IRFCA Picture Gallery
You'll find tens of thousands of photographs of locomotives, trains, IR stations, landscapes along railway routes, etc., in addition to diagrams, maps, videos, and other material at the IRFCA Picture Gallery, the best collection of pictures railways of India anywhere!
IRFCA Photos and Videos at Other Sites
See recently uploaded videos and photos by IRFCA members at other web sites!
- Apurva Bahadur's Loco Sounds. Lots of diesel and other loco sounds here.
- WDM-2 at Bangalore East, by M V Karthik, 2002. 90 seconds. A Krishnarajapuram WDM-2 applies dynamic brakes on a down gradient between Bangalore Cantt. and Bangalore East, and then sounds its horns as it enters Bangalore East to warn pedestrians who may not be able to see the train as it rounds a sharp curve. Recorded from the first coach of the Bangalore-Marikuppam Passenger.
- WDM-2 at Bayappanahalli, by M V Karthik, 2002. 4 minutes 30 seconds. A Krishnarajapuram WDM-2 departs from Bangalore East, speeds to 70km/h, and reaches Bayappanahalli. Much dynamic braking, and much blowing of the horns because of the presence of many level crossings and many trespassers on the tracks. Recorded from the first coach of the Bangalore-Marikuppam Passenger.
- Footplating a WP, by M V Karthik, 2002. 2 minutes 50 seconds. On Aug. 23, 2002, Bangalore division celebrated IR's 150th year by running a heritage 6-coach special hauled by WP 7161. It took the following route: Bangalore City - Yeshwantpur - Yelahanka - K R Puram - Bangalore City. Karthik footplated the loco on this run. There were speakers playing music which interferes with the recording. The recording begins after Bangalore Cantt. and ends before Bangalore City. Sharp curves result in a lot of horn-blowing, as does the presence of a TV crew! The loco reaches about 40-50km/h.
- WP between Bangalore East and Cantt, 3 minutes 25 seconds. Another segment of the WP heritage run. Much horn-blowing. The music and background cheers/yells of people can also be heard. The loco touches 50km/h.
- WDP-4 at Channasandra, by M V Karthik, 2002. 54 seconds. The Bangalore-Secunderabad Express recorded from the trackside (2m from the rails) at Channasandra. The train is starting from a full stop. The recording begins with wheels screeching against the rails, and continues with the WDP-4 passing by on full throttle.
- GZB WAG-5, By Vivek Manvi 2004, The driver of a GZB WAG-5 sounds the horn to scare away pedestrians.
- WAM-4 Horn, By Vivek Manvi 2004, The twin-tone horn of a WAM-4.
- ED WAP-4 with GT Express, By Vivek Manvi 2004, GT Express departs behind an Erode WAP-4 22555. The assistant sounds the twin-tone on my request.
- Erode WAP-4 Horn, By Vivek Manvi 2004, The horn of an Erode WAP-4 leaving for the NDLS trip shed.
- WAP-5 Horns, By Vivek Manvi 2004, The High Tone(HT) and Low Tone(LT) horns of the WAP-5 30012.
- WAP-5 HT Horns, By Vivek Manvi 2004, The HT horn of a WAP-5.
- WAP-5 Compressor, By Vivek Manvi 2004, The compressor sound of a WAP-5.
- WAP-5 Rajdhani, By Vivek Manvi 2004, Mumbai Rajdhani departing NDLS. The driver sounds the HT horn of the WAP-5 first, followed by the LT horn.
- WAP-5 Startup, By Vivek Manvi 2004, This is how a WAP-5 (30012) sounds during startup.
- WAP-5 on HWH Raj., By Vivek Manvi 2004, On my request, the driver of the Howrah Rajdhani sounds both the horns of the WAP-5 together for a very long time. Imagine the condition of the people at the platform.
- WAP-7 Compressor, By Vivek Manvi 2004, Compressor sound of the WAP-7 and the LT horn.
- WAP-7 Startup, By Vivek Manvi 2004, Startup sounds of a WAP-7. Blower sounds followed by the compressor sound.
- WDM-2 container passby, By Vivek Manvi 2004, This was recorded at the LC gate near the Shahbad Mohammadpur station on the Delhi-Jaipur line at about 11pm, on a chilly and foggy January night. I was standing between the BG and MG tracks. This is a WDM-2 passing by with a container rake.
- WDM-2 horn, By Vivek Manvi 2004, The horn of a TKD WDM-2 at NDLS.