The IRFCA Community
IRFCA started as a mailing list but today, not only is it a lively and active electronic discussion forum, but the railfans associated with IRFCA form a vibrant community and do more than just exchange e-mail. Members of the IRFCA mailing list in a particular region may also meet in person to go railfanning at local train stations or on longer trips (by train, hiking, etc.), or sometimes just to chat about trains or watch videos, etc. Members also gather yearly for conventions! Some members are involved in restoration efforts and heritage preservation activities with Indian Railways.
Many members of the community maintain their own websites. Typically these contain trip reports, photos, videos etc;
Here's a partial listing of such sites. Some of these are maintained on the IRFCA Server, while others are on third-party sites like Flickr, YouTube, Vimeo, FotoPic etc; Filter for the type of web pages you are interested in:
Various IRFCA members and other railfans
- IRFCA members' photos at Flickr
- IRFCA members' videos at Youtube
- IRFCA members' videos at Vimeo
- IRFCA members' photos at FotoPic
- IRFCA members' pictures at RailPictures.net
- Other IR photos at Flickr (not necessarily IRFCA)
- More IR videos at Youtube (not necessarily IRFCA)
- More IR videos at Vimeo (not necessarily IRFCA)
- IR photos at FotoPic (not necessarily IRFCA)
- IR photographs at RailPictures.net (not necessarily IRFCA)
- Web-wide list of IRFCA videos (TruVeo.com)
I S Anand
- Railway Tidbits
- DC electrics
- Chennai, KK line, and more
- The Madgaon Jan Shatabdi, and the Lifeline Express
Vikas Chander and friends
M V Karthik
'KBP' (K Bhanu Prakash)
- Akshay Marathe's pages at Flickr
- Akshay Marathe's pages at FotoPic
- Akshay Marathe's pages at Vimeo
- Akshay Marathe's pages at YouTube
Dr Shirish Yande
- Stormcatcher's Railnet. Photographs of electric and diesel locos, suburban trains, historical photos, more.
- WPs in Mumbai: 150-year Celebrations
- Neral - Matheran (1999)
- Wankaner and Morbi (1999)
- WP 7161 in steam (Feb. 2000)
- Wankaner Trip (Jan. 1999) (with Sarosh Mehta and Shrinivas Joshi)
- WP 7161 and W 585 steam locos at BAMY (Feb. 2000) (with Sarosh Mehta and Shrinivas Joshi)
C G Raghuram
- Steam locomotive (WP) run at Bangalore, 2002
- Ooty (Nilgiri Mountain Railway), June 2003
- Raghuram's pictures at RailPictures.net
- Photos at Flickr
- More photos at Flickr...
- Yet more photos at Flickr...
- And still more photos at Flickr
- Ranjeet's rail videos
M S M Saifullah
- Railway Junction: Travelogues, picture gallery, and more on Indian Railways, Konkan Railways, etc.
- Railway Junction (alternate URL)
- Binai Sankar's pages at Flickr
- Binai's pictures at FotoPic
- IRSE India's Photos
- Indian Railway Service of Engineers Portal
- Indian Railway Service of Engineers Forum
- Indian Railways News
M Senthil Kumar
- A large collection of IR pictures
- IR's 150-year celebrations and other travel
- IR Showcase Exhibition
- Shankar's pictures at Railpictures.net
Mani Vijay (Vijay Balasubramanian)
IRFCA members also meet once a year for the "IRFCA Convention". These conventions are a good way to meet new members, participate in discussions, give presentations and exchange notes about IR.
- Eighth convention: Mughalsarai, at the Backley Institute (Suruchi Sansthan) (9-10 February 2013) Discussion on the forum
- Seventh convention: Kolkata, at the Rotary Sadan auditorium (28-29 January 2012). Discussion on the forum
- Sixth convention: Bhusaval, at the Zonal Railway Training Centre (5-6 February, 2011).
- Fifth convention: New Delhi, at the National Railway Museum (6-7 February, 2010).
- Fourth convention: Bangalore (24-25 January 2009).
- Third convention: Kanpur (2008).
- Second convention: Chennai (2007).
- The first convention was held in Pune in February 2006.
Presentations from some of the IRFCA conventions are available here.
Mailing List Archive
E-mail messages posted to the IRFCA mailing list from the early years are available on this website at the mailing list archive. Later messages (from late 1999 to late 2010) can be found at Yahoo Groups. The most recent messages are on the IRFCA forum.