Tramways and Light Rail

LIGHT RAILWAYS AND TRAMWAYS

PUNJAB
East India Tramways, Karachi 
Gauge: 4'0"

						MR		1960		1920
						MR		1961		1920
						MR		1962		1920
						MR		1963		1920
						MR		1964		1920
						MR		1965		1920
						MR		1966		1920
						MR		1967		1920
						MR		1968		1920
						MR		1969		1920
						MR		2142		1921
						MR		2143		1921
						MR		2144		1921
						MR		2145		1921
						MR		2146		1921


Of 1960-69, one was delivered complete and the remaining nine were delivered as underframes and running gear with necessary 
fitments for the bodies and drawings to enable the body work to be constructed in India.

2142-46 were numbered 84-93.

All of these tramcars were delivered via Karachi.


Ferozpore Steam Tramway
Gauge: 2'0"

63/4-mile tramway that ran across a boat bridge over the Sutlej River, connecting the railway stations at Ferozpore, until 
a BG bridge was built. Opened in 1885, it closed in 1888.i

			0-4-0ST			SS		2870		1880	(a)(1)
			0-4-0ST			SS		2871		1880	(b)(1)
			0-4-0ST			SS		2872		1880	(c)(1)
			0-4-0ST			SS		2890		1880	(d)(1)

(a) Supplied to DHR, A class No 2. Acquired 1885.
(b) Supplied to DHR, A class No 3. Acquired 1885.
(c) Supplied to DHR, A class No 4. Acquired 1885.
(d) Supplied to DHR, A class No 5. Acquired 1885.

(a) When the tramway closed, two locomotives were sent straight to Dandot Colliery in 1893. The other two were obtained by 
NWR Gradient division and used on construction work. These two locomotives were sent to be used on the construction of the 
NDR in 1899 (line opened 1901). One was then sent to Dandot in 1908.


Patalia State Monorail   18 A6
Gauge: Monorail

A Colnel Bowes, an army civil engineer, designed the line. He was in charge of the the construction of Kharagpur works for 
the BNR. In the course of this he used a Ewing monorail system. H e later became the State Civil Engineer for the Maharajah 
of Patalia, Bhupinder Singh. Marshland Price carried out construction & Co. Work began on constuction in 1907.

The line consisted of two separate unconnected systems. One ran 15 miles from Sirhind on the NWR to Morinda. The other ran 
from Patalia to Sunam some 30 miles west; this line may not have reached its projected terminus. A photograph shows five 
loaded bullock hauled (two bullocks to each car). Another photo shows two passenger coaches in what appears to be a yard/shed. 

The locos were used on the Patalia - Sunam section as well as bullock haulage. The Sirhind - Morinda section was worked by 
bullock haulage, the exception to this was a home-built experimental petrol powered loco, built some time in the 1920's using
"an ordinary motorcar" engine. 

The system was closed in 1927. In 1962, one of the OK locos was found in scrap yard in Patalia along with an underframe from
the Chief Engineers salon. These were rebuildt at NR Amritsar works and put on display in the RTM, New Delhi.ii iii



			0-3-0T			OK		3356		1909	(a)
			0-3-0T			OK		3357		1909	(a)
			0-3-0T			OK		3358		1909	(a)
			0-3-0T			OK		3359		1909	(b)
			0-3-0PM			Home built				(c)

(a) New. S/s c.1927
(b) New. S/s c.1927. Rebuilt 1962-1976 NR Amritsar works. PVD RTM
(c) Home built utilizing a car engine.

UTTAR PRADESH
Darurala Light Railway
Gauge: 2'0"

			4-6-0T			BLW		44656		1916	(a)
			4-6-0T			BLW		44699		1916	(b)
			4-6-0T			BLW		44972		1916	(c)

(a) Supplied to WDLR, WD no 778. To Indian Army Military Reserve 1919. To Darurala Light Railway date unknown
(b) Supplied to WDLR, WD no 795. To Indian Army Military Reserve 1919. To Darurala Light Railway date unknown
(c) Supplied to WDLR, WD no 935. To Indian Army Military Reserve 1919. To Darurala Light Railway date unknown


Dhampur-Sherkot Tramway  23 F3
Gauge: 2'0"

			4wDM			JF		3930025		1951


Powyan Steam Tramway Co
Gauge: 2'6"

The Powyan Steam Tramway Company Limited constructed a tramway along an existing district road from Shahjahanpur, on the 
BG ORR, to Powyan (opened in 1890) on then Khotar and finally Mailani on the MG RKR which was reached in 1894, a total of 
40 miles. The main object, besides encouraging local traffic, was to tap the forest areas near Khotar for fuel for 
Shahjahanpur and the Rosa sugar factory. The RKR took over working in 1900 and the management in 1907.iv In 1918, the all 
the stock and permanent way was commandeered for use by the Persian Field Force on use on the Bushire Railway, the RKR 
receiving Rs 40,000 per annum as compensation. The Bushire Railway closed in March 1921 and all the stock was shipped back 
to Bombay for disposal. v The eventually fate of the stock is unknown.

1			0-4-2ST			JF		5949		1889	(a)
2			0-4-2ST			JF		5951		1889	(a)
			0-4-2ST			JF	     	6106	  	1889	(b)
			0-4-2ST			JF	     	6107	  	1889	(b)
3			0-4-2ST			JF	   	6412	  	1890	(a)
4              			0-4-2			JF	   	7060	 	1894	(a)
5			0-4-2			N		6135		1902	(a)

(a) In 1918, Nos. 1-5 were sent to Bushire Railway, Persia (along with the track and other stock). All were returned to 
Bombay in 1921. Eventual fate unknown.
(b) Although sent to Calcutta for PST, they may not actually have worked on it.

GUJERAT
Bhavnagar Tramway

In 1926, the Bhavnagar State opened a 2'6" gauge tramway from Bhavnagar southwards to Talaja and in 1938 this was extended 
to Mahura, a distance of 67 1/2miles. On 1/4/1948 the line became part of the Saruhstra Railway system and in due course 
part or WR.

Gauge: 2'6"

1			4-8-0			Han		10460		1925	(a)
2			0-6-2			MW		1474		1900	(b)
3			4-8-0			WB		2300		1927	(c)
4			4-8-0			HC		1657		1935	(d)
5			4-8-0			WB		2538		1935	(e)

(a) New. Became SaR No 1 in 1948 and renumbered No 600 in 1957
(b) Supplied to KTTR, No 81. Obtained from NWR in 1925.
(c) New. Became SaR No 2 in 1948 and renumbered No 601 in 1957.
(d) New. Became SaR No 3 in 1948 and renumbered No 602 in 1957
(e) New. Became SaR No 4 in 1948 and renumbered No 603 in 1957


Jamnagar & Dwarka Railway  62 C1, B2

Line opened early 11/1922. vi

Gauge: MG

			0-6-0DM			JF		4200029	  	1949
                	0-6-0DM			JF		4200030	  	1949
                	0-6-0DM			JF		4200031		1949
                	0-6-0DM			JF		4200032	 	1949
                	0-6-0DM			JF		4200033	 	1949
                	0-6-0DM			JF		4200034		1949


Nawanagar Tramways, Jamnagar  62 C3
Gauge: 2'0"

			4wPM			MR		2088		1926	(a)
			4wPM			MR		4215		1929

(a) Supplied via India Automobiles, Bombay


His Highness the Thakar Sahib of Rajkot, Rajkot - Beti Tramway  63 E2
Gauge: 2'6"

			0-4-0PM			JF	  	16335	  	1925
               		0-4-0PM			JF	  	16336	  	1925
               		4wDM		    	JF	  	20699	  	1935
               		4wDM		    	JF	  	21062	  	1935


Wadhwan Tramways  63 G1
Gauge: 2'6"

			4wPM			MR		2000		1920
			4wPM			MR		2002		1920	

1.4 MAHARASHTRA
Nasik Tramway   76 C1
Gauge: 2'6"

			railcar			MP		606		1916
			railcar			MP		607		1916
			railcar			MP		791		1920
			railcar			MP		792		1920

1.5 ASSAM
Dwara-Therria Light Railway
Gauge: 2'6"

A line authorised to run from Dwara Bazar northeastwards to Therria Ghat, a station on the Cherra-Companyganj State Railway.
The main traffic was to be limestone. The promoter died in 1904 and the company building the line went into liquidation in 
1909. All of the locomotives and rolling stock were brought by the Dehri Rotas Light Railway in 1911.vii

1			0-6-2T			AE		1457		1902
2			0-6-2T			AE		1458		1902
3			0-6-2T			AE		1459		1902

1.6 BIHAR
Dehri-Rohtas Light Railway

In 1907 Octavius Steel & Company of Calcutta promoted the Dehri Rohtas Tramway Company to construct a 24-mile line from 
Dehri-on-Sone, on the EIR mainline, to Rohtas. However in 1909 the project was up graded to a Light Railway so that the 
promoters could purchase the stock of the Dwara-Therria LR, then in liquidation. The line opened in 1911 and in 1927 it was
extended a further 11/2 miles to Rohtas Fort. By 1913-14 the railway was carrying annually over 50,000 passengers and nearly
90,000 tons of freight, including 55,000 tons of marble and stone.viii

Line originally ran from Rohtas but was extended to Tiura Pipradih (66kms from Dehri) when the Rohtas quarries were worked 
out. Two return passenger trains run daily, with a frequent service of stone trains worked by HC & KM 2-6-2 locomotives or 
by the 2-6-2T's acquired in 1967 from KSR. Main shed and works are at Dehri but some locomotives are kept at the cement works
at Dehri. Three locomotives are owned by Rohtas Industries but operated by DRLR, whose own stock consists of twenty-nine 
locomotives. The RI locomotives are two 0-6-2T AE's and a BLW 0-6-0ST, while the DRLR has eight 2-6-2 HC & KrM's, seven 
2-6-2T's two KS's and the rest ex-KSR locomotives, four 2-8-4T HC's, five 0-6-2T KS & AE's, an 0-6-4T AE, an 0-6-0T running 
as an 0-4-2T, two 0-4-0T's one Hen and the other unidentified and a derelict 4wTG S which appears to be converted from a 
road vehicle.ix

In 12/1981, ZBs headed all stone strains and a ZB and and ex KSR loco were Dehri yard pilots. An 2-8-4T was working the 
passenger service. x

Nothing has moved since the railway was shut down on 16/7/1984. In the shed seven ZB's and three tank locomotives, one being
an ex-KSR locomotive. All were totally rusted through with vegetation running riot on, through and around them. The 
locomotives are locked up and inaccessible without permission. The DRLR workshops are situated a little way out of town and 
are also locked up and guarded. Two ZB's are stripped down mid-overhaul and seven tank engines in various states of 
dereliction. Also present was a small OK diesel locked up in a wire compound. There were several items of coaching stock 
dating from the early 1900's and built in Leeds. Of the DRLR lines, the old exchange sidings were tightly packed with rusting
wagons and box vans. The entire track from the sidings into the country has been lifted. The track in the area round the 
loco shed and factory boundary is still intact, although fenced off and inaccesible from local paths and roads.xi

Gauge: 2'6"

19			0-6-0T			R&R				1880	(a)
1			0-6-2T			AE		1457		1902	(1)
2			0-6-2T			AE		1458		1902	(1)
3			0-6-2T			AE		1459		1902	
25			2-6-2T			NB		16059		1904	(b)
26			2-6-2T			NB		16820		1905	(c)
21			2-6-2T			KS		946		1906	(d)
22			2-6-2T			KS		974		1907	(e)
24			2-6-2T			NB		18598		1908	(f)
23			2-6-2T			NB		18788		1909	(g)
27			2-6-2T			NB		18787		1909	(h)
16			2-8-4T			HC		982		1913	(i)
15			2-8-4T			HC		984		1913	(j)
18			2-8-4T			HC		1003		1913	(k)
17			2-8-4T			HC		1005		1913	(l)
1			0-6-2T			KS		3119		1920	(m)
2			0-6-2T			KS		3120		1920	(m)
20			0-4-0T			Hens		17692		1920	(n)
			0-4-0T			Hens		20756		1920	(o)
4			0-4-0T			S		D3906		1921	(p)
5			0-6-2T			AE		1856		1920
6			0-6-4T			AE		1982		1926
29			2-6-4T			Martins				1946	(q)
30			0-6-0DM			OK		25629		1950
7			2-6-2			HC		1806		1950	(r)
8			2-6-2			HC		1807		1950	(r)
9			2-6-2			HC		1808		1950	(r)
10			2-6-2			HC		1809		1950	(r)
11			2-6-2			KrM		17906		1954	(r)
12			2-6-2			KrM		17907		1954	(r)
13			2-6-2			KrM		18300		1954	(r)
14			2-6-2			KrM		18301		1954	(r)
28			2-6-4T			HE		3864		1955	(s)
15			2-6-2			S1Br				1959	(t)
			2-2wPMR			Home Built				(u)

(a) ex Lower Ganges Bridge project, either R&R 14, 15 or 17 (q.v.). Re-gauged to 2'0" and worked at Sasaram Quarry (56 A1), 
date unknown. Re-gauged back to 2'6" and transferred to DRLR in 1953. Derelict 1972
(b) ex IR K class, No 538. Delivered to KSR K2 class, No 14. Became IR No 538. Acquired 1967
(c) ex IR K class, No 538. Delivered to KSR K class, No 21. Became IR No 521. Later rebuilt with a superheater and 
reclassified as KC class. Acquired 1967
(d) ex DBLR, No 2 IR 114. Acquired 1966. OOU 1974
(e) ex DBLR, No 3. IR 115. Acquired 1966. OOU 1974
(f) ex IR K class, No 529. Delivered to KSR K class, No 30. Became IR No 529. Acquired 1967
(g) ex IR K class, No 514. Delivered to KSR K class, No 1. Became IR No 514. Acquired 1967
(h) ex IR K class, No 536. Delivered to KSR K class, No 37. Became IR No 536. Acquired 1967
(i) ex GIPR (CPR) A/1 class No 1 (CR No 699). Acquired 1959. Wdn by 1968
(j) ex GIPR (CPR) A/1 class No 3 (CR No 701). Acquired 1959. Wdn by 1968
(k) ex GIPR (CPR) A/1 class No 4 (CR No 702). Acquired 1959. Wdn by 1967
(l) ex GIPR (CPR) A/1 class No 6 (CR No 705). Acquired 1959. Wdn by 1967
(m) Supplied to India Office, Calcutta as a 2'0" gauge locomotive. Worked on quarry line at Sasaram near Dehri. Re-gauged to 
2'6" by DRLR in 1951. OOU by 1972
(n) Supplied to "India", acquired ?. Derelict by 1972
(o) Supplied to Beruck & Comens, Calcutta. Derelict by 1972
(p) Converted road lorry. Derelict 1967
(q) ex SSLR No 12. Acquired 1972
(r) ZB class
(s) ex SSLR No 18. Acquired 1972
(t) ex Kosi project, acquired 1959. ZB class
(u) converted from a Willy's jeep 

(1) to Rohtas Industries by 1951


HARAYNA

Jagadhri Light Railway

3.3 miles long, opened in 1911. Connected Jagadhri City in the Punjab with Jagadhri on the NWR.xii

Gauge: 2'0"

1			0-4-0T			HE		1055		1911
2			0-4-0T			HE		1068		1911
3			4-6-0T			BLW		44528		1916	(a)
4			4-6-0T			BLW		44708		1917	(b)

(a) Supplied to WDLR, WD no 728. To Indian Army Military Reserve 1919. To Jagadhri Light Railway c.1929
(b) Supplied to WDLR, WD no 803. To Indian Army Military Reserve 1919. To Jagadhri Light Railway c.1929



RAJAHSTAN

Dholpur-Bari Light Railway
Gauge: 2'6"

Built by the Maharaja Rana of Dholpur and was opened to Bari in 1908, being extended to Tantpur during 1913-4 with a later 
branch to Sirmuttra (1917 and 1929). The chief traffic was stone from the Dholpur State quarries, the 1917 branch being 
specifically for the carriage of stone for building New Delh ix iii


1			0-4-2ST			KS		855		1904	(a)
2			2-6-2T			KS		946		1906	(b)
3			2-6-2T			KS		974		1907	(c)
4			2-8-4T			HC		959		1911	(d)
5			0-6-2T			KS		4033		1919	(e)
6			2-8-4T			KS		4205		1919	(f)

(a) New. Construction locomotive
(b) New. Ren 114 in 1957
(c) New. Ren 115 in 1957
(d) New. Ren 734 in 1957
(e) New. Ren 116 in 1957
(f) New. Ren 735 in 1957


Jodhpur Railway
Gauge: 2'0"

A 251/4-mile long line, known as the Pipar Raod-Ravi (late Bilara) Light Railway was constructed and owned by the Jodhpur 
Durbar. Opened during 1910-12 it was worked by the Jodhpur Railway until replaced by a MG line in 1928. The locomotives 
then went to the Jodhpur City Tramway.xiv

1  LION			0-6-0			OK		3469		1909
2  TIGER		0-6-0			Decau				1910


BURMA
Madaya Light Railway
Gauge: 2'6"

This line ran northwards from Mandalay for 8 miles to Toungbyon and was opened in 1912. In 1917 it was completed for a 
further 8 miles to Madaya. In 1917 the Company went into voluntary liquidation in 1919 and was sold to a private undertaking.
On 1/4/1923 the Government of Burma purchased the line and the working was made over to the BR; it was closed down in 2/1927 
being replaced by a MG line. 

The original four locomotives came second hand from the Thanton-Duyinzaik Railway. Statistics for 3/1921 gave seven 
locomotives as the stock; it is unknown what the other three locomotives were.xv

			0-4-2ST			Barr				1883
			0-4-2ST			Barr				1883
			0-6-0WT			D Kerr				1885
			0-6-0			D Kerr				1901


i IL, pt III, p77
ii RTM guide, p??
iii The Patalia State Tramway web site
iv IL pt iii, p78.
v IL pt iii, p84
vi IE 2/12/1922
vii IL pt 3
viii IL pt3
ix IRS 110/4
x CRJ 50
xi CRJ 99
xii IL pt 3
xiii IL pt 3
xiv IL pt 3
xv IL pt 3



Material provided by Simon Darvill. Copyright (c) 2000-2004, Simon Darvill
Note: This site is not officially affiliated with Indian Railways! The official web site of Indian Railways is: http://www.indianrailways.gov.in
Site contact: webmaster@irfca.org
Copyright © 2010, IRFCA.org. About IRFCA  Contact Us  Search this site  Site Map  Links   Acknowledgements  Legal Information & Disclaimers